Friday, April 7, 2017

Battle Arena Research

For my battle arena I had the idea to use a cuckoo clock design:









The visual style I'd like to emulate, or take inspiration from, is Kingdom Hearts. I felt the style of art from the series would best fit my map's layout and idea.









For my color palette, I wanted to go with a similar one to KH II's, so I picked a muted prismatic palette with brighter versions for the pickups/focal points








Theme:


Cuckoo clock (obviously)

Location: On/in a cuckoo clock

Time of Day: Middle/afternoon


VISUAL TRADEMARK(S):



-Giant cuckoo clock

        -moving pawns
        -giant bird will pop out
        -shape of map


STORYBOARDS:




Some questions the audience might be thinking about as they play the level would be:

Where am I?
Is this a giant cuckoo clock?
Can I go through those doors?
Will a bird or something like it pop out eventually?
Can I go inside the clock?
Can I reach the upper balcony?



7 sentence story:



Intro: Begin level on lower balcony with pickups in the center. Mainly Player vs. Player

Rising conflict: Pawns will emerge from the doors that players cannot enter. Player vs. Player and Player vs. Environment (moving hazards)
           --pawns will eventually move hammers, providing another form of moving hazards

Climax: Bird will shoot out from large double doors on lower half after a few minutes of play, and is an unavoidable hazard if close enough to it.

Denouement (end) : Last player standing wins game



USP SKETCHES:


No comments:

Post a Comment